Thursday, June 25, 2009

A visit to the friendly neighborhood podiatrist

This morning I had my long-awaited appointment with the podiatrist. I was able to find one who is a runner, so I knew the odds of him telling me, “Hang it up, buster!” were pretty low.

I learned a few things. First, he told me that running three days in a row was not a good idea. He recommended that I limit my running to two days in a row; every other day is also fine. He recommended cross training on the other days.

I also spoke with him about Forbidden Drive. He didn’t find running on Forbidden Drive to be that much better than running on asphalt. While the surface is dirt, it’s firmly packed and therefore not very forgiving. If I wanted to run on a soft surface, he said, try grass.

I suppose that’s good news and bad news. On the one hand, I need not worry too much about not getting down to Forbidden Drive in the winter time, when darkness falls early and the park is closed after work. On the other hand, I can’t depend on the Drive to reduce my risk of injury. Well, at least it’s scenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment