Monday, June 8, 2009

Past perfect satisfactions

Sometimes running is like writing: the satisfactions most derive from the latter are often experienced in the past perfect, that is, “having written.” Occasionally, you’ll have a day to which you can look back and affirm your satisfactions in the simple past, but I believe that for most writers, those days are the exception rather than the rule.

I did not enjoy tonight’s run. The weather was a bit more humid than it’s been, but that didn’t bother me. Rather, I ran with a twinge of nausea, probably due to having eaten to close to my run.

Still, I did get in three miles in 33 minutes. After the first mile-and-a-half, though, I had to slow down. I turned the music off (Berio’s Coro) and focused on running more slowly. The slow pace served me well for about a half-mile, but I didn’t speed up much more for the remainder of the run. Still, it’s nice to see that, at least on the three-mile runs, I’m getting consistently faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment