Sunday, June 14, 2009

After a (short) hiatus

Last week, I ran only three times, three miles each time. While I had intended to run yesterday, I had trouble sleeping the night before. I finally got to sleep after 5 a.m. (good thing it was Saturday!) and slept, fitfully, until late morning. Because of sleep deprivation and also my plans to run this morning, I scratched yesterday’s run and spent time instead riding a stationary bike and stretching.

Last night, however, I slept well. This morning a woke up and wasted little time getting out to Forbidden Drive. I’m still having some foot pain, so before I left the house, I did some stretching for my foot. I also walked around the house some on my tip-toes, and that caused the pain to go away.

I understand while people run with pain. What I don’t understand, though, is why people take analgesics to run pain-free (unless, of course, on the recommendations of their physicians). Aren’t we supposed to listen to what pain is telling us? If we shut it up, will we worsen injuries?

The run went well: three miles at a pace slightly below 11 minutes per mile. I completed it in just under 32'30".

No comments:

Post a Comment