Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Gu Taste Test - Part II

Since my last post, I've had two long runs, the second of which was the Broad Street Run. During those outings, I had opportunities to sample a few more of the Gu Energy Gels. Here's what I've found.
I had one more Vanilla Bean gel that I consumed prior to my last training run. I didn't find it as unappetizing as the first time, but I still didn't care for it. (Incidentally, the Vanilla Bean has 20 mg of caffeine.) On that same run, I also had two packets of the Jet Blackberry flavor, which has 40 mg of caffeine. While it was palatable, it wasn't particularly appealing. The Mint Chocolate, on the other hand, was more appealing, probably the best of the caffeine-free gels that I've had thus far.
During the Broad Street Run, I tried four different gels. Two were non-caffeinated: the Lemon Sublime and the Strawberry Banana; the former was fine, but the latter was probably the worst tasting of the gels I've had yet. I also had the Chocolate Outrage gel (20 mg caffeine), which was good. The real surprise, though, was the Espresso Love gel, which, as befits its name, contains 40 mg of caffeine. It is probably my favorite of the gels I've had so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment