Saturday, April 21, 2012

The GU Taste Test - Part I

Two weeks till the Broad Street Run, and my long runs are getting long enough that I'm needing to take energy gels to carry me through to the end. In previous years, I've stopped into a local running or sporting goods store to indiscriminately grab a handful of GU gels. Problem is, they're not cheap, so I know I'd be better off buying in bulk. But that raises another problem: what could be worse than having to consume a box of 24 gels in a flavor that you discover repulses you?
Fortunately, GU offers a sampler pack containing an assortment of various flavors. It costs a little more than the single-flavor boxes, but, if you're like me and are worried about getting caught in the unfortunate scenario I described above, it's probably worthwhile for assisting you in determining which flavors might merit the purchase of a 24-pack in the future.
Today I began my taste test. I ran 10 miles, accompanied by four GU packets, two each of Vanilla Bean and Mandarin Orange. Following the directions, I consumed the first one, a Vanilla Bean packet, 15 minutes before I began my run.
YECHHHHH! The Vanilla Bean was awful. At first, it seemed okay, but as I finished, its sickening sweetness lingered in my mouth for minutes. And the worst part? While there are two of most of the flavors in the sampler pack, there are three Vanilla Beans! Fortunately, the Mandarin Orange was much better, almost refreshing, in fact.
So that's week one. Next week, I'll try out two more flavors and render my verdict. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment